Alice encounters herself in the Looking Glass. But which Alice is real, and which is the reflection?
So many details in this piece!
- Different outfit accessories on each Alice
- “Nice” Alice is holding a pocket watch, about to strike 13; “evil” Alice is holding a skull
- The Wonderland background on each side is consistent with the mood of the respective Alice
- Faces in the flowers – happy/jovial on one side; sad/evil/dead on the other
- The Caterpillar is in each bottom corner, blowing smoke from his hookah. The Alice’s are standing on these smoke clouds…is this the Caterpillar’s dream?
- Steampunk and clock texture in background, done with copper leaf
- The archway of the mirror is done in an Art Nouveau style, with copper leaf. Do you see the Cheshire Cat?
- Within this archway are written the words “We’re All Mad Here”, visible if you turn the painting upside down